The water hose is an indispensable tool to every backyard. Even if you have a pool, you will still need a hose in the yard, as immersing the pool with a hose is the most convenient way to clean it. With that in mind, it makes sense that having a water hose timer is a practical thing to have. In this article, you will learn all you need to know about garden hose timers. Then, at the end, we will review the best water hose timers available today.
|Orbit 62024 Single-Dial Hose Watering Digital Timer||Best Overall|
|Nelson 856604-1001 Water Mechanical Timer||Budget Pick|
|Orbit B-hyve 12-Zone Smart Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller||Upgrade Pick|
1. Orbit 62024 Single-Dial Hose Watering Digital Timer
This Orbit 52024 water hose timer has an easy to read digital display. It is easy to use and you can adjust it to meet your needs. This timer makes sure that your irrigation system will work well and will be maintained by spraying your yard. The water hose timer comes with a rain delay feature for three of the programmed times. The Orbit 52024 runs for up to six weeks on one set of batteries and you are able to use the battery saving feature which helps you save your battery power.
Is easy to read the digits on the display.
2. Instapark PWT-07 Outdoor Waterproof Digital Programmable Single Outlet Automatic On Off Water Faucet Hose Timer
- Easy to install
- Cheap price
- Simple design
- Easy to set and program
- Allows you to control water flow between on and off positions
- Waterproof external sensor
- Does not emit UV rays
- Allows you to set physical shutoff or mechanical shutoff
- Protection against freezing
- Adjustable timer and duration
- Uses batteries
- Water damage occurs if the sensor is exposed to water
- Cannot be instaled outdoors
- Not suitable for 1/2-inch PVC pipe
The Instapark PWT-07 is an affordable option for anyone looking for a simple automatic water timer. It’s easy on the budget and is ideal if you only need to control the flow of water from your hose for regular activities like lawn watering, gardening, and cleaning. The automatic shut-off occurs when it reaches the set time (15 minutes to 10 hours), can be activated manually based on flow, and has an adjustable timer for days, hours, and minutes.
3. Orbit B-hyve 12-Zone Smart Indoor/Outdoor Sprinkler Controller
- Easy to set up and program
- Features a long battery life
- The sprinklers are pressure compensated and adapt automatically to the type and amount of water in the hose
- It is compact, and it will fit well in any garden or patio
- It has 12 different watering zones
- Ideal for mid-sized homes
- It has a translucent blue LED screen that is easy to read
- The watering time is controlled through an external web-based platform available to all users
- It has a maximum watering cycle of over 99 minutes
- It automatically shuts off after a certain time, which sometimes gets compared to the way our minds work
- The website is sometimes a bit slow
- The radio transmission is spotty
- The device can only be used in the U.S. and Canada
Make your gardening life easier with the Orbit B-Hyve smart sprinkler, as you no longer need to think about watering your lawn and garden. It is self-programming and even features an LCD touchscreen display to help you easily find the right watering duration for your garden plants.
4. Nelson 856604-1001 Water Mechanical Timer
- Easy to use
- Reasonably priced
- Automatically covers a lot of area
- Features a handy warranty
- Has multiple programs
With Large LCD Display, 6 Fabric Hose Nozzle Settings, Black.
The Water Timer from Nelson is the ideal product to let you set up your own automated watering system. All you have to do is to connect the hose to the faucet of your water supply and the timer will do the rest by keeping tabs on the set time. It will even turn off automatically when the time is up. Thanks to the large, easy-to-use LCD display, you can easily program by reading the number of hours and minutes quickly. Setting a new program is as easy as going to the save and start button.
To ensure you get accurate and even watering, the Nelson Water Timer comes with 6 different spray patterns that cover a lot of area. It’s also quite durable as it’s made from a tough ABS plastic material and will last for many years to come. You’ll also appreciate its capability of letting enough water spray in a wide angle as the fan nozzle can cover an area of 24 feet from the sprayer head.
5. Melnor Soil Moisture Sensor
- Easy to set up
- Easy to use
- Rain delay feature aims to conserve water
- Dirt and debris can easily clog the sensor
- Not ideal for outdoor usage
This is a relatively new product in the automatic watering category, but already it’s getting some good reviews from customers. The Melnor Soil Moisture Sensor works with all Melnor Smart Watering products. The sensor helps you save water by watering your garden and plants only when they really need it. The sensor should be placed at least 2” deep in the soil, and it’ll send a signal to the control box when the soil is dry.
Once the rain delay kicks in (that’s the maximum watering time you can set), the control box will prevent further waterings until the soil moisture level is ideal. The delay function can be ideal during long dry periods when you want to conserve water. This is pretty important if you live in an area that is subject to water restrictions.
6. Gideon Dual-Valve Hose Water Timer Sprinkler Timer Irrigation Controller System
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which water timer is best?
There are two different types of water timer offered in the market today and both offer some advantages over the other. Here are their leading features so you can choose the one you like best.
The first type is commonly the most popular type and cheaper also. It is the type that once you plug it into a power socket it will remain there for the water timer to function. Their advantage is that you don’t necessarily need the timer to be anywhere near the faucet, which also means they are a more convenient alternative for you. These are usually battery operated and the batteries are easy to install and are also inexpensive. This is the first type of water timer that has been offered for years.
What is the best irrigation timer?
Any of these five timers would be a good choice but the Orbit Big Orange is our pick for the best irrigation timer. The Orbit Big Orange is not only easy to install but it also has superior durability and efficiency, especially when it comes to watering all types of garden spaces.
The Orbit Big Orange features a strong 21-gauge powder-coated metal case that protects its electronic parts against strong sunrays, unpleasant weather, and the elements in general. The timer is also well-equipped to handle the strong water pressure levels that are important in ensuring that your plants get the right amount of water.
The timer is a very powerful one that can water up to six zones every 24 hours. All you need to do is set the timer on your Windows PC and you will be able to manage up to 1800 watering cycles per season.
What are the best soaker hoses?
Pumps/Pressure or Power Sprayers – best for large lawns, or for wetting down areas of the yard before you work on them with the soaker hose.
Hydro Spike Sprayers – best for watering medium to small sized areas, and for watering hanging baskets.
Soaker Hoses – connect the hose to the end of the sprinkler using a coupling – no need for an additional timer!
End-of-the-Hose sprinklers – easily attach to the end of a hose; quick and effective.
Nozzles – attach to the end of a hose, so you don’t need to buy a separate watering wand.
Can you put a hose on a timer?
Yes, you can set a hose on a timer and you can leave the hose outside to water your lawn without having to be indoors. You just have to program a timer to turn the water on and off daily, weekly, monthly, or even a